Friday, April 6, 2007

Ow!!!!

Seems like lately I've been talking about practicing with one physical kink or another. A few days ago I was on my way to work and I took a pretty mean fall where my left knee took most of it. I was fine, I got right back up, utter some expletives and kept going but man did it hurt. I got a nice pretty bruise to show it. So class last night was interesting to see how I would be able to handle the simplest "knees/chest/chin" to anything kneeling, oooowwww!!!! I banged up my knee pretty bad apparently although it feels fine to walk and to bend it. Pressing it against the floor was not a good feeling. Blankets were my friend last night. Ever try to do knees/chest/chin with one leg straight? It's weird.

The class overall was wonderful. We began with one of my favorite chants: Om Namah Shivaya, Shivaya Namah Om.

We did different variations of Natarajasana standing and seated with straps; no one in the room could actually grab their foot. It felt sooo good. Basically you make a loop with the strap, the smaller the loop, the more challenging it becomes. You loop it around your foot, place your hand in the loop with your elbow pit facing outward and start to bend the elbow down, out, and up and then grab it with the other hand and start drawing your chest forward with your head and foot towards each other. There is something very cathartic about opening your chest, letting your shoulders go and just surrender.

2 comments:

Regina said...

Oh, I am sorry about your fall! Did you ice it at all?
I am glad you had a good class, though. I love being able to stick out my chest in poses like Natarajasana- I can take such deep breaths!

Mary said...

Ouch! but glad you still managed to go to class and work with it. I can imagine how hard it was but it sounds like you had a lot of fun doing Natarajasana. I love this pose too :-) I hope you knee recovers as quick as!