Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Chest Open, Back Bent!

I'm writing this entry during my lunch break in the middle of an incredibly hectic day that makes me want to pull my hair out. So far not good except for reading Regina's blog. That made me happy.

I will proclaim that class last night was gooooood. When my teacher said she was in a backbending kind of mood, I thought "Uh oh". I rather not do them and I dread that part of the class when we go into Wheel but I do it anyway. In turn it felt more like a chest opening class with the exception of one drop back (with a partner). Which leads to me ask, how does everyone feel about pairing up? I usually don't like it. It is not because I feel grossed out touching other people but my weight is always a concern in my dumb brain and I always worry that it gets in the way, although it never has in the past in a partner exercise, but I prefer to not do it.

We practice Pincha Mayurasana only trying to stand on our elbows with our palms to our chin, like a little pinup girl. I couldn't do it. My hands would not lift from the ground. It's hard enough for me to balance in the pose on my forearms.

I'm thinking about taking another class tomorrow, it is just that kind of week so far. I have too many worries on my mind that I just can't shake. It seems like the more time I devote to the mat, the more time it is not worrying.

5 comments:

Regina said...

Hee hee, thanks, Marilyn. You are a love...
The only experience I have ever had with pairing up is in the now "infamous" workshop I took, and I have to say, it was uncomfortable. In the first place, we didn't get much instruction on just how to be a good partner and there was always the worry that you would let your partner down- literally and figuratively. It just wasn't set up well at all. I mean, spotting someone in handstand is a big thing!
I hope you can always come to a place of peace on the mat from all your worries. It's nice to realize now that we can all be a part of each other's peace when we do our practices with a pure intention.
Hope your hectic day leads to a peaceful night...
xo

Mary said...

Great question! I always fear that our teachers will do partner poses. Why? Well, what if I fart or something LOL. I don't think I'm confident enough to do most poses that require partners. I like the massage-y poses though ;-)

I hope you can shake your worries this week and I reckon definitely go to another class....and listen to some of your favourite music. I just pulled out some Lamb and feeling blissed out.

smallcitystyles said...

I have yet to do a partner practice. I would be interested to give it a try, but I'm sure I would worry about letting my partner down. I would feel bad if they had a bad practice because of my inability to be a good partner.

Just remember that as you worry about your weight getting in the way everyone else is worrying about something equally as much. Be confident!

Kris said...

Great post.
I used to add one or two partnering poses every other week in classes. After a while, about 50% of the students said they'd rather not do it and 50% said they loved it. The folks that loved it, liked the physical connection with others in the room (these are ongoing and not drop in classes), and it helped them understand the poses better and go deeper. The other 50% "just didn't like them".
I used to dislike partnering and dreaded when my teacher would do it, because I really "get into" my practice. The partnering takes me away from my center and makes me focus on another person. So much of life is interacting or considering others, that (at the risk of sounding selfish) during my practice, it's ME time and no one else's!
With that said, in a long workshop, I now enjoy partnering because I can go deeper and really learn the differences in bodies when helping another.
Final note: I completely agree with Regina's comments about setting you up and giving instructions. Whenever I offer partner poses (learned this from Todd Norian at Deep Peace Yoga), first I mention the importance of honoring the other person and supporting them physically and emotionally. NEVER push them and stay in constant communication. A partner, in Yoga and in life, is there to support you to be your best to enhance your experience. A partner is not there to force you or fix you. Also, a thank you at the end is always in order :-)
Love,
Kris

Unknown said...

Keep the small of your back rounded and only go as far as you can without losing your abdominal contraction. When returning to sitting position, don’t go too high. You should feel tension in your abs throughout this movement.
Life Coach Australia