Monday, August 18, 2008

Home Practice Day 1

Alright, so I have struggled with having and maintaining a home practice since I first started doing Yoga. It has been two weeks since I've been home and away from a studio so I decided that today is THE day to get my butt in gear and do something about that. As an added incentive, I will chronicle my progress here for anyone who might be interested.

One of the problems I've had practicing at home, besides actually doing it, is what to do? I acknowledge now that I have thought about this a little too much which is no fun, thinking sucks. At my finger tips I have a couple of years worth of Yoga Journal issues and every issue has a "Home Practice" section, duh! I need to take advantage of this. I began with the most recent issue #213 (September 2008) which I will tell you what it entails in case you don't have it in just a moment. Let's see if I can remember what I did.

Warm up: 2 variations of Sun Salutations
-Downward Dog, plank, Chattarunga, Upward Dog, Downward Dog (5x)
-Standing Sun Salutation (5x)
-I like starting in Tree Pose because I really feel like it helps center my mind. Both sides for eight breaths.

YJ Practice: I didn't follow to the T, they were more like guidelines
-Baddha Konasana - YJ said hold for five minutes, I think I only did 1 minute
-Cowboy Negotiation Pose - I have never done this before but it feels wonderful if you have open hips. Five breaths on each side.
-Hammock Pose for eight breaths
-I skipped Horse Stance w/ Uddiyana Bandha, I just wasn't feeling an intense breathing exercise today.
-Virabhadrasana II on both sides for 10 breaths
-Transition into forward lunge externally rotating the arms behind you to open the chest. Five breaths on each side.
-A very awkward Rounded Plank Pose into Cobra for 10 breaths. For plank it says to "Draw your tailbone under and round your back as you bring your shoulders over your wrists". I think I was tucking my chin which made it feel funny.
-After Cobra is instructs to do "Rocket Cat" - what's with these names? Were there "Rockets" in India 5,000 years ago??? I digress.
-Finally came the "Slumpy Swami Twist" which is just that, a seat twist hunched over. Not recommended for people with lower back problems.

Fun Time: Now is where I get to play around with a couple of random poses
-Arm balance: Crow Pose
-Inversions: I tried a couple of times to kick up into Handstand but it wasn't happening today. It's been a while since I have done it. So instead I did a Headstand for 1 minute
-After I came down, I did only one Full Wheel just because I hate this pose and the way it makes my wrist feel but I still feel like I should do one pose I don't like.
-Finally Savasana for 5 minutes.

In total this turned into a 30 minute practice and I am feeling pretty good and accomplished. See you tomorrow!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a complete practice.
I'm always procrastinating in my home practice, because when I'm alone I don't feel motivated.

T.Allen said...

Thanks for sharing...Perhaps I'll blow the dust off the mat tomorrow. I know I certainly need to...

Anonymous said...

Another option is Yoga Today (yogatoday.com). If you sign up for the newsletter (free), they'll send you a weekly email with links to 7 new yoga routines (one for each day of the week) that you can watch on your computer (free). The last one I saw was 58 minutes.

I subscribe just in case I feel up to it, but I'm not good at yoga, so I think I've only done it once.. My friend who loves yoga says he really likes it.

Unknown said...

If your practice is an expression of what is alive in you now, that practice will help you stay present during your time on the mat. That experience can serve as a model for practicing presence all day long.
Yoga Pants for Women