Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Class Recap

Class last night was just what I needed to end my incredibly annoying day. It was bad folks. I was really down in the dumps, I think PMS may have had something to do with it. Of course before class started everyone was talking about Heath Ledger. It was around 5:45 so we didn't hear all the news that came out later on saying that it might have been accidental. At the time though, we all though suicide and how sad and stupid it is suicide is.

It is kind of a downer subject to think about before practicing but our teacher helped us set our intentions to our mental health and to remember that on days where we may feel like our mental health may be weakening, yoga always brings us back to where we need to be and that is the truth! We proceeded in what I like to call a "Chex Mix Yoga" class where we did a little bit of everything. By the end of class my mind felt sharp again and the worries that were pushing their way to the front of my brain throughout the day were gone.

It is results like this that make me think that the whole "westernization" of yoga may not be such a bad thing. It may seem superficial on the surface, the fancy clothes and the spa like studios, but at the end of the day, it does what it needs to do whether we realize it or not. Yoga brings calm and peace of mind, even if temporarily, it is there and we can only benefit from that.

3 comments:

Mary said...

I reckon yoga is yoga no matter where, how and why you practice. You can't help but get the same kind of benefits when in downward dog :-) Glad you feel better now.

I still can't believe Heath's gone. I think I don't want to believe it.

Gypsy Girl said...

You are so right that yoga can bring calm and peace of mind. Isn't it amazing. the benefits are never ending!
I enjoy your blog!
I wish ou peace, love and laughter
GG

Nadine Fawell said...

Beautiful post, Marilyn!
You are right, it is the results that determine whether it is yoga,not the trappings. And who can say no to a cute pair of yoga pants, let's be honest!