Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Oh my hip

Sometimes the weirdest things happen when you least expect it. Saturday I was walking to the hospital to visit my new Sweat Pea niece and I noticed as I was walking that my right hip was kind of bugging me. This isn't the first time this has happened. In the last year, I think, I've been noticing little annoyances with my right hip here and there but I usually let it pass and attribute it to getting old. Since this past Saturday, the pain has not let up. I do not recall doing anything funky in Shri's class Thursday to trigger it, unless it's some kind of delayed reaction(?). As of now, I'm gonna give it another week to go away, it's foolish I know but that's just my logic. This morning walking to work was really bad but it wore off. It's coming and going right. I feel ok now I just got up to throw something in the garbage and it's still there. To be safe, no class tonight. I hope to take a Level 1 class tomorrow and just lay off the hips. If this doesn't go away then I may have to see a doctor about it.

Again, sometimes I think it is just a sign of old age. I'm 32, sure not "old" but my body can't do the things it use to (ie: walk all over the island of Manhattan and not feel the least bit tired). I am not the greatest when it comes to taking vitamins to keep my bones strong, maybe I should start because I really don't want to be an achy old lady later on down the line and kick myself for not taking better care of my body when I was younger.

2 comments:

A said...

Hi. I'm almost 31 and it's taken me a LONG time to accept that my body won't do what I tell it to. I now have pains in my knees when I sit cross-legged for longer than a few minutes. Yoga's helped me too though!

Anonymous said...

I injured my hip 2 years ago, and my Ortho guy was convinced I had torn my labrum. 2 arthrograms revealed nothing, which was a pretty big suprise. We never did find out what it was, and I just had to take it easy for a few months. The pain slowly (and I mean...s-l-o-w-l-y) went away. I'm not kidding when I say it took about a year and a half before I felt completely normal again. I gradually worked yoga, walking and eventually running back into my routine. It was frustrating, but I did get better. I'm certain you will as well, but you may pull your hair out waiting. :o) You're younger than I am (I'm 37), so perhaps you'll recover much faster.

My self defense instructor once said, "The wheels come off after 30." :oD